Capital Craft Beer Fest 2019
Get ready because on the 15th of June 2019 the 7th annual Capital Craft Beer Festival will take place at the Pretoria National Botanical Gardens. Over the last few years, Capital Craft Beer Festival has established itself as an indispensable part of the Pretoria social calendar not to be missed as 10 000 beer and music lovers congregate in the beautiful natural scenery offered by the Pretoria National Botanical Gardens.
I caught up with Nottingham Road Brewery, one of the breweries at the festival this year, to find out more:
The Capital Craft Beer Fest 2019 is around the corner, and you guys will be there – please introduce us to your brand and the awesome team behind it?
Nottingham Road Brewing Company is the oldest microbrewery in KZN, having perfected our beers and brand over the past 23 years. We now have 8 permanent beer brands, as well as making our own gin on the premises. Peter Dean is the owner, John Morrow the manager and brewer, Felix Zuma the production manager and brewer, and Thulani Memela is the head brewer.
Awesome! So, how did the Nottingham Road Brewery originate; Can you share a little bit of history with me?
The brewery was started by owner Peter Dean and ex-SAB brewer Trevor Morgan in the early ’90s, on a small 50-litre pilot system that grew into our 1000 litre brewhouse that still runs today. We started with our original 4 brands (lager, pale ale, pilsner, and porter) and are now up to 8, with more coming and going as small, special small batch brews.
Possum, Weasel, Pig…? These sound super interesting! Please give me a short description of the different craft beers you offer at your brewery.
* Tiddly Toad Premium Lager – 5% Alc. Vol – A full-bodied, quaffable lager with lots of mouthfeel
* Pye-Eyed Possum Pilsner – 4.6% Alc. Vol – Crisp, refreshing Bohemian pilsner utilising the noble Saaz hop
* Whistling Weasel Pale Ale – 4.5% Alc. Vol – An English-style pale ale, with a malty backbone and majestic aroma from the East Kent Goldings hop
* Pickled Pig Porter – 4.5% Alc. Vol – Malty, rich, yet highly drinkable dark ale
* Tipsy Tiger Unfiltered IPA (India Pale Ale) – 4.5% Alc. Vol – Unfiltered to retain as much hop flavour and aroma, the Tiger is a session IPA with full, fruity aroma and flavour, and a little bit of caramel and red colour from the crystal malt
* Swinging Samango Mango Ale – 4.1% Alc. Vol – A light, fruity number with a kiss of mango in the nose and flavour
* Wobbling Wombat Summer Ale – 4.1% Alc. Vol – The beer base for the Mango Ale, this is light and fruity and a refreshing winner on a hot day
* Pickled Pig Cappuccino Porter – 4.5% Alc. Vol – Utilising our Pickled Pig Porter as the base, we brew Terbodore dark roast coffee, chill it down, then add a bit of vanilla and add both to the keg, where it resonates with all the flavour and aroma of the original porter, but with a punch of cappuccino magic
And which is the most popular?
The Tiddly Toad Premium Lager and Whistling Weasel Pale Ale are our flagship beers.
And which do you think is the most underrated?
The Wobbling Wombat Summer Ale is deceiving with it’s lower ABV, but it is packed with Galaxy hops to give it unbelievable aroma and some wheat malt to add smooth drinkability.
With so many beers on tap at the festival, why should we come to try your beers; What makes you different?
As one of the first breweries in SA, we have spent years perfecting our recipes and they are both consistent and repeatedly exciting.
Finally, where can we follow you online?
Capital Craft Beer Fest 2019 Details
Date: Saturday, 15 June 2019
Venue: Pretoria National Botanical Gardens, Pretoria
Time: 10H00 – 19H00
Price: R140 – R200
Bookings: Buy Tickets